A Sarasota Non-Profit Organization

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Books to the Rescue!

Alisa Mitchell, Outreach and Partnership Coordinator, from the Sarasota County Libraries Born to Read program came to the rescue of Mothers Helping Mothers with new books in hand!  Alisa walked into the door with boxes of new books for our families-what a gift!  When asked about the program Alisa commented that “through partnerships with community agencies that serve at risk population it is our hope that every family has a book to read to their children.”  I told her that she was like Santa Claus!  Now, don’t get me wrong we get many MANY wonderful donations from very generous people on a consistent basis, but new books are such a treat!  As the mother of a little boy, I know how much I treasure the time that he cuddles into my lap and we share in the adventures of a good book.  I just want that for all parents and children.  It is such a special time that I am able to share with my son and it really is the only time that he sits still in my lap.  Enough of my soapbox… When I asked Alisa more about the Born to Read program she commented, “I feel very fortunate to bring books to organizations like this since it is our hope that we can help parents be the first teachers for their children.  We want to inspire all families to have books in their homes and read to their children.”


No comments:

Post a Comment