A Sarasota Non-Profit Organization

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Worth the Wait

When I arrived at Mothers Helping Mothers the other day I was shocked at the magnitude of people waiting to get in the door.  There were people and cars everywhere!  Let me back up a moment to the actual driving into the parking lot (which was quite an interesting experience).   I had to circle the building once because there was no way to get into the parking lot.  There were people backing up onto 301 because they could not find a place to park.  I tried a second time and this time I made it into the parking lot- well kind of.  I turned in and quickly stepped on the brakes as someone was trying to exit through the same one lane area.  This is not normally a one lane area, but people were parked EVERYWHERE!  Through a careful dance of weaving in between cars, I made it to the back lot and was ready to unload my car.  Oh, I forgot to mention that my car was full of shoes that were donated and I could not see through any window due to the large amount of cargo.  After I was unloaded and settled, I ventured to chat with the women and children that were waiting in line to get into the building.  I talked to a few who told me that they had been waiting since 6:45 and they were not the first ones in line!  Let me tell you it was a HOT and HUMID day to say the least and the people in line were determined that nothing would stop them from getting in the door. 
Just a portion of the line

The parking lot entrance

When people ask if Mothers Helping Mothers really is needed in this community I will show them these pictures.  There are no words to describe the look of determination in the eyes of those in line or the look of satisfaction when they finally get into the doors.  This is an organization that serves a real need in this area and there are many who depend on the services provided by Mothers Helping Mothers.  This is a much needed organization and a place to turn for many who have no other place to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment