A Sarasota Non-Profit Organization

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Unlikely Volunteer

This is Sarah!  She may not look like the traditional volunteer, but that is exactly what she is doing at Mothers Helping Mothers.  "I needed volunteer hours for school and my mom volunteers here.  She suggested that I do my hours here and I am very happy with the decision," said Sarah. 

"Volunteering here makes me feel good," said Sarah.  "I see people that really need assistance and I am glad that the organization is here for them." 

When asked about a time or person that really made an impact on her, Sarah recalled a woman that recently came to Mothers Helping Mothers.  "This woman came in to the storefront when we were about to close.  When I asked her for her address, she looked at me blankly and said I do not have one.  She was living at the Salvation Army shelter and had no home of her own for her and her daughter.  The volunteers quickly asked her what she was looking and started gathering things for her," said Sarah.  "By the time the woman was ready to go, volunteers had helped her gather everything that she needed.  It mad me feel so good to help her and to see other volunteers work together to help one woman.  I know we made a difference to that woman," said Sarah.  "That's what it is all about."


No comments:

Post a Comment